Tuesday, June 16, 2015

So Now What's Next: The Life Of A High School Grad



So as we all know there is a certain time of the year that both grandparents, parents, and most importantly students all wait on, yep GRADUATION. When a child graduates on to the milestone of their academic career it is celebrated for many different reasons. Some celebrate because it marks down the years before their child goes out to start a life of their own. Some celebrate to mark a new goal to strive for within a family who may not have had the opportunity to get this far in their education. Setting goals for the younger generation under them to show that it is possible not to be another statistic. It is a proud moment for all involved. I had the pleasure and the honor to recently attend my eldest nephew high school graduation. I had a moment to reflect back remembering when he first went to daycare and now he is here. Im proud to say that went above and beyond everyone's expectations even when some of his growing pains got in the way, he found redemption. So usually the next question for a high school grad is, what's next? Well here I have an exclusive interview with a recent grad name Nicholas Pickens. Nicholas is 18 with quite an expressive educational resume and  already a world traveler. I sat with him and decided to ask him the following:

Me: Hello Nicholas

Nicholas: Hi

Me: Well let's jump right into it because I know as a new grad you have a lot of big plans ahead so I wont hold you long.

Nicholas: Ok

Me: So you're a high school grad now...so what's next?

Nicholas: Next I plan on furthering my education beyond high school. I have been waiting on college for such a long time and now that it is here it almost doesn't feel real.

Me: So have you decided on a career path now?

Nicholas: I'm not sure exactly what I want to major in but Im sure it will be in the engineering field. I think I wanted to do that for the longest.

Me: Great field. What were some the challenges you faced in your 4 years? Educational and personal?

Nicholas: My biggest problem during my 4 years of high school was definitely trying to balance what I wanted to do versus the thing I needed to do. As far as personal, seeing my mother go through such a depression, I felt there was nothing I could do about it. The mistakes I made during that time didn't contribute any better. I wish that I can take it all back but life goes on.

Me: What are some of your greatest accomplishments?

Nicholas: I think the biggest accomplishment I've had so far was for sure the recent one and that is walking across the stage to receive my diploma. No one felt I was going to graduate even when I said I was. I've learned to turn the doubt people fed me into success and I can say it was the greatest feeling to prove others wrong.

Me: I think we have that honestly

Nicholas: For sure

Me: Who was the biggest help through out your 4 years?

Nicholas: I would have to say my family. When I needed something done there was no question asked. I'm forever in their debt.

Me: Awesome! Last question, So what advice would you give the freshman you?

Nicholas: Manage you time wisely. Even some adults cant do that but its also not impossible. Set goals for yourself. I once heard that if you want to succeed more than you want to breathe, then you will always be successful, and I will always stand strong by that.

Needless to say I'm impressed. So I end by saying talk to those grads about what's next, let them know that their success lies solely on them and for every adversity there is a chance for redemption. 

                                                           *Inserts Personal Thoughts Here*

                                                               
I want him to know you just don't know much God answered my prayers, I remember when I was ill I prayed daily "Lord spare me to see him walk across the stage" and he did just that. Welcome to the big leagues I don't doubt one bit that God will bless you to be the great man your destined to be, your in my heart always and CONGRATS, MAMA WE MADE IT *little nanee/nephew humor) 



Peace and Blessing
Swagg P






"Buzzworthy Cravings, Creatively Satisfied!"

No comments:

Post a Comment