Thursday, June 16, 2011

SlutWalk Houston: A Stand Against Political, Legal, and Misogynistic Bullying

I often think of reasons I do things that I do. Is it because of how I feel? What I learned? or because of what someone else thinks of me? I realized that I do things well...because I want to! I enjoy doing whatever it is that will keep me grounded and sane. The world is so full of occurrences, situations, and people that could drive even the Pope to insanity. Sooo making the decision to join SlutWalk Houston is no different. SlutWalk Houston is a campaign that I have taken a personal interest in. While, contrary to others' belief, I have never really considered myself an activist, but I believe in change and that it can start with a mustard seed of faith and a really loud mouth...and THAT I have.

SlutWalk Houston is a part of a series of protests following a 'victim blaming' statement made by a Toronto Police officer when addressing a group of women about Rape Prevention. SlutWalks began in Toronto, Canada and have spread like the plague across the United States. Slut Walks have infiltrated social media sites, and continues to gain momentum and national recognition from magazines such as Time, as well as local news coverage. SlutWalks, no matter where they are held, is a movement dedicated to dispelling the victim blaming culture that guides, legislate and shape our society. What makes this movement even more worthy of my participation is that this patriarchal, political and legal bullying is affecting everyone living in its time, some more closely than others.

The Texas Association Against Sexual Assault is an agency committed to ending sexual violence in Texas through education, prevention and advocacy. In the meantime, they desire to support survivors on their paths to hope, healing and justice. TAASA is the voice of the sexual assault movement in Texas. They are a unifying force bringing together parties involved in and affected by sexual assault as a catalyst for change. TAASA's vision is a Texas free from sexual violence. They envision safe, healthy communities across Texas, where no one is burdened by the far-reaching effects of sexual violence (http://www.taasa.org/about/). I find it unbelievable that we have an agency such as this one in place with a goal to have no one burdened by the effects of sexual violence, yet SlutWalks still have a very powerful mission and purpose. Is anyone else alarmed? The point is we have government agencies that have been created to educate us, protect us, and direct us, but the opposite is happening. Bullying is at an all time high, families are being destroyed, and people are losing hope in the very system that is to have this nation's well being at stake. How do we maintain order when the police officer's face look like that of an attacker? How are children expected to succeed and be productive citizens when educators are more concerned about finances than educating? How can parents raise their children, when a judge thinks he knows more about what's best for the child, then his mother? Sure many will say that this type of 'thing' has existed for many years and judging from history books, news stories and journalistic contributions, I will have to confer. However, are we suppose to allow it to continue to happen? I can't and I won't!!!

Misogyny has been the most powerful and negative influence on things that have caused a steady decline in the quality of life for thousands of people. Its time for our actions to speak just as loud as the words the govern this thing we call life. Domestic Violence, rape or any other crime isn't ok and its time that blind eyes begin to see. In the African American communities, it is often difficult to speak about less than favorable things. Its almost taboo to acknowledge wrong doing, let alone stand up for it. Well my President says "Yes We Can" and because change is inevitable, I proudly walk in the shoes of Change Agent. I want to end with a quote I wrote to address this "State of Emergency" society is in: "Political and legal bullying is hindering our nation. Victims are being blamed, children being mis-educated, families being destroyed... It is time out for misogynistic ideation, oppression, and destruction. Rather hear us as we re-construct ill-guided power and stand as pillars created of Earth's Foundation. We STAND UN-MOVED!"- Jeanette MsNightLyfe Young

Read More at :
http://www.somostejanos.org/blog/despite-name-cause-must-endure

http://community.feministing.com/2011/05/11/slutwalk-houston/


"Buzzworthy Cravings, Creatively Satisfied!"

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I definitely feel where you coming from and respect your feeling on these issues.

    ReplyDelete