Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Bad Business, Fuckery or Inexperience?????

Hello World! I write this blog a little late, as I wanted to ensure that I was accurate in my piece. Last week was my birthday, yes yes, Im getting more beautiful as the years go by and certainly more wiser. My only birthday wish was that I be given a surprise birthday party (just 1) because I have NEVER been given such a gift. Well, needless to say I wasnt given a surprise party at all, but a former business affiliate, took the liberty to plan a week's worth of birthday parties (Wed.-Sat.). Im not sure if this was done out of guilt because of child like actions, emotions and shade, the reason is neither here nor there at this point. What is important is that I accepted the itinerary with a few changes. I figured it would be a good opportunity to meet promoters and other industry people and make solid viable connections all while enjoying my birthday. From the start I was warned, told and pleaded with NOT to go this route because it wasnt what I wanted, and in addition to that, the former affiliate would be making money off of my celebration etc. THAT didnt even bother me, because I know its money to be made out here and at the very least I would have been broke off a little something something because it was MY birthday. It was further disclosed that the more people at one of the parties would mean more money for the host. So what did I do?...Gathered as many people as possible to ensure that there were more than enough folks in the building.

The parties scheduled from Wed-Friday were a success, my friends, sistas and business affiliates came out to support me and celebrate my day. However, before my official birthday and party (July 28) the business relationship with my former affiliate was terminated and needless to say, she wasnt in attendance for any of the "unpaid" parties. One face didnt stop the show! Now before I get into THAT day let me enlighten you to how I work. 2 weeks prior to my birthday or any of the parties, I contacted one of the persons putting on the car show, to see how I can assist and make things a little easier for them. I had a couple of meetings with the lady and recorded everything that she wanted my help with. In addition to that, I helped to promote the car show event by taking flyers, and scheduling events to distribute them. And I did exactly what was asked of me. I enjoyed it and it gave me a new experience (aggressive promoting). In addition to that, I sent out artists including Platinum Grind Entertainment's own artists and even the artists that is being managed by my former affiliate.

So let me fastforward a little, its 3:33am on Saturday morning, and my peeps and I are just getting in from the Friday party when I get a text message from the car show coordinator asking how many people will be in attendance. I question the fact that the message is being sent to me the day of at the wee hours of the morning, especially considering that I had just met with the lady on Thursday and had been talking to her almost daily since our first meeting (2 weeks prior). But I answer her anyway and give an estimate of 30. This number is so high because the former business affiliate included me, the promotional group and my car club on the flyers to promote the car show and after party. I had the founder and other members of the promotional group as well as our models come in from Dallas, the founders and members of the car show as well as their families and friends from right here in Houston to come out and support me and grasp the learning opportunity that existed being a part of the car show. Now, at 8 am the same day (5 hours later) I get another message from the car show coordinator informing me that I could only get 10 people in and that I would have pay $5 per person (NOT per car) for every person over 10. That pissed me off because of when and how it was done!!! The money was no problem, we paid it when we got there. The issue was had I known this prior to the day of the car show, I could have planned better and so could have my guests. The icing on the cake though was when we got there, there was NO ONE there and we arrived an hour and a half after the show was to start. You know when someone is doing underhanded shit, because they avoid you, refuse to make eye contact and dont even acknowledge you upon arrival. That isnt the way to do business PERIOD! Well that is what I and my guests were met with when we entered the gates. In addition to all of that, my car club was asked to park behind a stable because the front area was for artists. WTF! NO ONE was there, dont even recall seeing a stage. But hey, that is minimal. Not 0nly would the cars not be seen, but we would have to leave from around there to see the nothing that already existed. It was a major slap in the face. So needless to say we left!!!! Making our charitable donation to support the cause. There was absolutely no respect and in those cases most people get beligerent or leave. With that we didnt attend the after party.

Im not sure if what I experienced was Bad Business, Fuckery or just lack of experience in planning this type of event. I feel that its a combination of all three and I certainly have nothing else to go on. I am learning that in this industry fuckery is as common as a cold. I have also learned how to minimize cost and embarrasment. Initially, I was going to write this from a place of anger and pisstivity, but decided to convert that negative energy into positive energy. As a sista representing other sistas from a place of power and growth, it is my hope that the car show was a success and that this was a learning experience for them as well. From this experience I will:

1. Research every company or individual that I am to do business with.
2. Stay away from things and people I cant google.
3. Be sure to be apart of planning from the beginning if my company or business affiliates are to be involved.
4. Follow my first mind.
5. Keep the haters coming!!!

I welcome you!!!!

Please Leave your comments, criticisms, and compliments if you must.

No comments:

Post a Comment