Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Vain-ity Project: Thoughts of a BBW!

                                             

Bold. Big. Beautiful. Bossy. Brave. All adjectives describing any of the b's in the urban to mainstream term BBW. I'm curious to know when you hear BBW what is your 1st thought? Do you automatically place the B as Big? Do you often go by the definition of society where there are false representations on what that truly stands for or do you have your own definition? For me B stands for BOLD, to be a plus size female takes boldness. It often takes breaking the standards that other have set for beauty. It means taking a stand for those who haven't found their voice yet or have been brainwashed by their environment that thinner is better. It means taking a bold stand for younger generations to grow up confident and most importantly comfortable in their own skin. The next B is for BEAUTIFUL, beauty that is inside as well as out. I think that we don't tell ourselves enough that we are beautiful I believe the quote is "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". We have beautiful minds that are filled with wisdom and knowledge that is often unnoticed because of our mere body image. Beautiful spirits beautiful enough to stand by someone of the same body image struggle grabs their hand looks in the other ones eyes and say "you are not alone". There is more than just one thing that makes us beautiful. Most importantly I am a Woman...the same woman who bring life into this world. To soothe the pain of those that hurt. The same woman who educates our future and ultimately run the free world (shout out to Hilary). We are women, true our size is bigger, that just simply means there is more greatness to go around. 

The Vain-ity Project: Curves and Confidence. The Vain-ity Project: Curves and Confidence exists to provide a platform for women to confidently celebrate their curves without fear or contradiction. Our goal is to redefine the beauty representations for women of color, encourage self love through self image and empower confidence levels through conversation, poetry, and photography (art). This liberating shoot definitely has curves, confidence, and conversation, the kind of conversation that need to be had more often. These women including myself share what a day and a life is in our (BBW) shoes, so many think they know but really have no idea. I hope that this project reaches at least one. The girl who is shunned and shut out at school because of her size. The woman who finds someone attractive all for the person to respond with nasty negative hurtful words because of their unresolved anger issues from the one that once rejected them. To that young lady who refuses to eat because society says anything over size 4 is too big and she just want to be accepted. That woman that I once was taking verbal and physical abuse because I thought no one else wanted me. My self esteem was at 0 once upon a time, but once I broke that mind set and detoxed everything she said I wasnt I felt cleansed. I felt as if i was the woman I'm destined to be I just had to put myself in a better place. Let this be the breakthrough that is needed, I know this Vain-ity project will not be in vain.

All to often, we suffer the loud and empty opinion of others. Being a celebrity doesnt excuse one from being attached. I definitely want to give a round of applause to one of my favorite artist Pink. I have always admired her "girl power" with songs such as "Stupid Girls" "So What" and "Raise Your Glass". Well it seems that this past Saturday she attended a cancer benefit for one of her dear friends and this was her look:







And of course the "Twitter Trolls" had to find something wrong about her:




And well here was her perfect response:








Peace and Blessings,
Swagg P.

(For more Tweets check out http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryancreed/pink-responded-to-body-shaming-in-the-best-way-possible)











"Buzzworthy Cravings, Creatively Satisfied!"

No comments:

Post a Comment